Bola na Rede is the name of a campaign that confronts sexual violence against children and adolescents. The campaign’s slogan is “Score a goal to protect the rights of children and adolescents”. It is an educational project the National Evangelical Social Action Network initiated since 2011 with the intention of raising awareness, preventing sexual exploitation and encouraging the general public to report acts of sexual violence committed against children. Our desire is to create a culture where sexual violence is not tolerated and it is exposed by breaking the silence on the issue. The campaign intentionally mobilizes churches, organizations and thematic networks to combat child sex tourism with an emphasis on major sporting events in Brazil such as the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics .
Why the campaign started?
Brazil has a history of sexual violence against children and the twelve cities that were going to host the 2014 soccer World Cup tournament were no different. Also sexual exploitation is prevalent during major cultural events such as carnival and other special occasion. These were the factors that motivated the National Evangelical Social Action Network to create a campaign that advocates for the rights of children to be protected from sexual exploitation.
What are the campaign objectives?
Phase 1 (2011-2014) mobilized the 12 host cities of the 2014 World Cup to protect children and adolescents from sexual violence. Phase 2 (2015-2017) has three focuses:
- In the city Rio de Janeiro: make the local and foreign tourists aware of sexual violence against children and facilitate the creation of a safe place in the local churches during the 2016 Summer Olympics;
- In the city of Fortaleza: develop an pilot project that focuses on intervention in order to rescue children and adolescents from situations of sexual exploitation;
- In the churches and the network affiliated organizations: encourage the creation of child protection policies
How does the campaign work?
- Mobilizing the Church protect children and adolescents from sexual exploitation
- Creating safe spaces for children and adolescents in churches and organizations during the 2016 Summer Olympics;
- Promoting a culture of reporting sexual crimes, prevention and protection of the rights of children and adolescents;
- Networking by joining forces the church, government and other organizations;
- Identify local partners in each of the cities where the campaign being conducted;
- Empowering children and adolescents to be major actor in the defense of their rights;
- Producing educational material nationally on the issue of sexual violence;
- Creating awareness among tourists through multilingual teams.